A contested divorce is a nasty process that can turn into a long lasting nightmare. Having someone on your side to help you while going through a divorce to make sure you get the most of what you put in is essential to maintaining your way of life. A contested divorce, while it can be agreed on, simply means that you and your soon to be ex-partner cannot agree on the terms of the divorce such as child support, child custody, property division, visitation, etc. or maybe you agree on some terms but not all of them. During a contested divorce, a mediator or judge and both you and your partner along with any legal representation will hash out those details to get the divorce finalized. Not having a divorce attorney is the fast track to losing everything in these situations especially if your partner does have one.
Things that need to be decided on when filing for divorce:
- Who will be keeping what debt?
- Who will get primary custody of the kids if you have them?
- Who will be paying for the children’s education, clothes, school supplies, etc.?
- Who keeps the house and vehicles?
- Will I have to pay child support?
- Will I have to pay alimony?
- Who’s paying for health insurance?
- We have a joint will, how do we separate it?
- What if my ex gets married again, will they be able to adopt my kids?
- Can I change my beneficiaries?
- And many more…
Most marriages that end in divorce are not easy to get the details worked out and each side wants something different so these are not as easy to figure out as they may appear to be. Don’t try and handle this alone because your partner won’t be. Get what you deserve and make sure your future is secure. A good attorney can mean all the difference between living your life and struggling to survive.
Don’t wait until the last moment to talk to a divorce attorney. The McClenney Law Group is here to help you know and understand your rights and help you in your claim. Call us today for a consultation.